Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Isabela, Galapagos

Isabela, Isabela, Isabela... it is a song written by the very famous Napo and I had the honor of watching him and his very talented son Lucas play one nite at Beto's Bar.

The island of Isabela is quite different than Santa Cruz, it's streets are filled with sand and the light posts are made from driftwood. It truly is a beautiful island yet something haunted me while I was there for the past week and I could not put my finger on it till I arrived back in Santa Cruz. I spoke with Sarah Darling the painter who is quite spiritual and sensitive to energy as well. The morning I was leaving Isabela I truly could not wait to leave... There was a Frenchman there who I have become friends with and when I told him this he looked at me strangely and said he could spend another month there... gasp.... So anyway, I spoke with Sarah and told her how I felt and she explained to me that the Island of Isabela was once a prison, for the very worst criminals and that the guards were brutal towards the prisoners. They were made to carry tons and tons of lava rock each day in the blistering sun to make what is now called the Wall of Tears... and now many of the descendants of there criminals live on the island... ahhhhhh she said to me... you are quite perceptive with the energy that surrounds you... I feel that my senses have only gotten stronger since my trip has begun.

I would go back to Isabela but only for a short while. I was not able to climb the volcano due to the weather, but I do not think I would stay for a week again....

Here are some photos of the island and some of its people. I rented a bike one day to tour the island and met a beautiful lady named Corrina. She is the English teacher at the high school and she asked me to come and teach her students English for a couple of days. I was delighted as I want to give back... I read to them in English while they followed along, lolol.. not quite... so when Corinna walked away to go to a seminar I told the kids to close the books and we were going to have some conversation together... I had them all laughing with the things I wanted them to repeat in English.. It was a wonderful day and I love nothing more than to see smiles on peoples faces!!

I also had the pleasure of meeting a beautiful 18 year old lady named Alexandra. We are 20 years apart yet on the same journey to explore and live life... She is a savvy kid at the mear age of 18 and would like to model one day, so I was delighted to take some photos of her to help her out. She was amazed at the photos I took of her and she said she had nothing like this in her portfolio, so I was happy to help her reach her goals.

Finally on my last day there I took a very cool moped ride down a very very very bumpy road and saw some amazing things... The ride had me making silent prayers as he slipped on the lava rocks a few times and we almost killed by cows who were freaked out my the moped... I have a video of the cows running for their lives... We were on our way to the three volcano's... once we got there my flip flop managed to break so I traversed the volcano's with bare feet :) And it was truly lovely, as the floor was covered in ferns so it was soft on my feet, I could actually feel the warm hot spots from the Volcano beneath my feet and felt so connect to the earth and all of my surroundings.... ahhhhhhhhhhhh, I love this life!!! Once we got to the first volcano I used a cable to descend to the bottom, it was a bit scary, but the air was so crisp and fresh and I felt so very alive!!!

OK, on to the photos.... Enjoy!!!


isabela (42 of 55)

isabela day 4 (509 of 631)

isabela day 4 (351 of 631)

isabela day 4 (445 of 631)

isabela day 4 (442 of 631)

isalbela 09 (733 of 735)

isalbela 09 (694 of 735)

isalbela 09 (123 of 735)

isalbela 09 (326 of 735)

isalbela 09 (432 of 735)

isabela day 4 (191 of 631)

isabela day 4 (51 of 631)

isabela (52 of 55)

alex (793 of 995)

isabela day 4 (609 of 631)

isalbela 09 (547 of 735)

My guest in my room for the evening....
nite shots isabela (24 of 24)

nite shots isabela (17 of 24)

And finally the beautiful Alexandra... If you want to see more photos of her go to my blog at www.stephaniesokol.blogspot.com

alex (780 of 995)

1 comment:

  1. The blog link does not work when clicked on.

    ReplyDelete