Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Isabela Island Galapagos

I left Santa Cruz two days ago to venture over to the Island of Isabela. The boat ride was a mixture of adrenaline rushing thru my body along with tons of sea water pouring on it... I sat next to a lady who told me she goes from island to island 2 times a week for the past 10 years and this ride was one of the worst she had experienced. We had seas that were about 10-12 feet at times, one guy who puked along the way and 13 others who were a little greenish grey in color. I chose to sit at the end of the boat... I was the only one soaked from head to toe for our 2 hour ride, our 2 hour ride ;) Gilligan's for ya!! But I was also the only one with a smile on my face and the wind and water in my hair.

Yesterday, I took a 4 hour walk along the beach and there were, sea lions, land turtles, marine iguanas, various birds and crabs afoot.

The streets of Isabela are primarily composed of sand and old boats pepper peoples yards here and there to really give it wonderful beach vibe.

I would share photos with you but it would take all year to post them so I can only share my words with you for now.

Isabela is not as populated as Santa Cruz but it is also suffering from tourism, cars and politics..... Last nite when a lady found out I was a photographer she wanted me to photograph the dead animals... As an amimal lover I found this disturbing yet the fact is, eyes need to be opened. I want for Quinn, my nephew to visit these islands one day and I want for him to see it the way I have seen it and not desolated and abandoned.

The issue is the cars... The drivers are careless and are killing off the wildlife. Why not make bikes the mandatory form of getting around, the island is so very small?? The construction is another issue and the mounds of litter hidden being houses is a problem as well.

I took a bike ride today to get the full effect. Last nite I met several people who have lived here for many years and have seen the drastic changes but they blame the political figures for not making a change. I tried to explain to them that if they are not careful that in 10 years the Galapagos will not be what it is today... Once the animals disappear from the over fishing, pollution and carelessness of the natives it will be just a volcanic island that had a beautiful but sad history.

When I returned from my bike ride I spoke to a lady who maintains the bikes and she asked me to come and speak to her students tomorrow at the college... I am quite nervous as I do not fare well in front of crowds but I want to get the word out that change will start with them. Not to wait for things to be put in motion my the PTB but by initiating it themselves and to start caring for this very precious land. Why not start a pick up trash day??? Everyone knows each other here, so make it a fun day have a BBQ, give prizes to the most trash collected and make this Island the pristine place it used to be.....

Mr Darwin would be sad to see how his beloved islands have evolved, to be sure...

Aside from the issues I am taking amazing photos of the people of the islands and am quite proud of my work., I hope that I will be able to make a book that truly shows the beauty of Ecuador as well as the nature of the people and the diversity of the land.

Last nite at Beto's Bar they had an amazing duo of father and sun who played the blues... I will get his name as he is quite famous... the nite was beautiful and many frineds were made... also met some amazing people from the US and one up and coming 18 year old named Alex who I will be doing a photo shoot with soon!!

On my way to have dinner ;) A hug and kiss to all my friends and family!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment