Friday, August 7, 2009

Bartolome, Kids and Franklin Angermeyer

Bartolome is one of the most photographed places in the Galapagos Islands, I could not wait to get my shot!! It was once a bombing ground for the United States when in 1942 they were premitted to build a large air base in Baltra and the soldiers used the island for bombing practice, nice huh? To this day bombs are sittting at the bottom of the ocean... anyway....

Bartolome and the Pinnacle rock were a must see for me and I was thrilled when the grey skies parted to give me the rich hues of blues... The water is so crystal clear that from the top of the island you can see sea lions below the surface of the water. It is home to blue footed boobies, lava lizards, sea turtles, penguins, sea lions, sharks and a variety of fishies :) I may be missing a few animals but it is full of life.

We took off on a boat much bigger than the one that took me to Isabela, thank goodness! It was a 3 hour ride that I truly enjoyed.

Today I was able to go to the childrens school and took some great pics of the kids painting and playing. My friend Elke, who is an artist, teaches at the school and invited me to come along. There is something fascinating about watching children paint, the faces they make and the paintings they create are one of a kind.

Later in the day I was invited to go sailing with the very famous Franklin Angermeyer. His parents were one of the very first settlers in the Galapagos back in the day. He wanted a photo of his sailboat boat while at sea so I suggested I hop on the dingy while the boat was sailing to get the photos.. With my heart in my throat I jumped from a speeding sailboat to a running dingy and made it without falling into the drink!!! More action filled stories to come!!! Mom, you do not have to tell Mama-Nini about the jumping from boat to boat part :) Love ya!!!

The Barefoot Nomad on the way to bartolome sitting on the rail of the Poseidon...
bartolome (128 of 726)

Bartolome and the famous Pinnacle Rock
bartolome (453 of 726)

bartolome (459 of 726)

The long walk to get there, one of them....
bartolome (392 of 726)

bartolome (466 of 726)

Finger Painting
santa cruz (82 of 885)

santa cruz (55 of 885)

santa cruz (159 of 885)

The shot after jumping from the sailboat to the dinghy
santa cruz (500 of 885)

1 comment:

  1. More pics.... more more!!! Those shots are amazzzzing!!!!

    ReplyDelete